Deadline for applications: July 18th 2018
ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE OPENING OF AN INTERNATIONAL SELECTION PROCEDURE FOR DOCTORATE HIRING, FOLLOWING THE ARTICLE 23 OF DL 57/2016 OF 29th AUGUST, CHANGED BY LAW Nº 57/2017, OF 19 JULY.
- In its meeting of May 19th 2018 theBoard of Directors of the Centro em Rede de Investigação em Antropologia deliberated the opening of an international selection tender for one vacancy for doctorates (PhD) to perform scientific research activities in the scientific area of Anthropology, under a work contract with non-fixed term, pursuant to the Labour Code.
- Applicable Legislation: DL 57/2016 of 29th August, which approved the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC), updated by the Law no. 57/2017 of 19th July and Labor Code approved Law no. 7/2009 of 12th February, under its current reading.
- Pursuant to º 1 article 23.º of RJEC, this selection tender applies to the functions developed by PhD holders grantees fulfilling the eligibility criteria as of 31st August 2018.
- Monthly remuneration to be paid is the remuneration set by article 23 (3) of RJEC, corresponding to level 33 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order no. 1553-C/2008 of December 31st, i.e. 2.128,34 Euros.
- The workplace shall be at CRIA’s facilities, in any of its institutional branches (NOVA FCSH, ISCTE-IUL, UCoimbra, UMinho) and/or other places as deemed necessary to the development of the research activities, following instructions issued by the Board.
- Any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) holding a doctorate degree in Anthropology and a scientific and professional curriculum whose profile is suited for the activity to be performed can submit their application. In the event the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, said degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law no. 341/2007 of 12 October, and all formalities established therein must be complied with at the application deadline.
- The general admission requirements are defined in the previous point. The specific admission requirements are detailed below in the job description:
Ref. 11/2018. Anthropological Studies on resistance on the threshold of exclusion by the contamination of artistic methodologies with participant observation
This position aims at the development of anthropological research and related dissemination plans on: : a) resistance and survival in detention facilities, with empirical research on youth detention facilities; b) analysis of resistance mechanisms; c) experimentation of ethnography with collaborative methods and performance arts, namely ethno-theater, aiming at building a tool for action research, d) mapping ethnographic/artistic experimentations in detention and similar facilities, in marginal social environments e) with the general objective of contributing towards the reinforcement of CRIA’s research within the framework of its strategic plan, focusing on the challenges facing the cultural and social dimensions of contemporary societies.
- Pursuant to article 5 of the RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific and academic curriculum of the candidates. Scientific and curricular career evaluation will focus on relevance, quality and up-to-datedness:
a) of the scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production of the last five years considered more relevant by the candidate;
b) of the applied investigation activities, or in the practice-based, research activities developed over the past five years and considered to have the greatest impact by the candidate;
c) of the extension and dissemination of knowledge activities developed in the last five years, namely in the context of the culture and scientific practices promotion, considered of greater relevance by the candidate; and
d) of science, technology and innovation management activities, or of experience in monitoring the scientific and technological system or the higher education system, in Portugal or abroad.
9. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
10. Applications will be scored on 0 to 100 scale.
11. The following assessment criteria will be followed:
a) Scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production of the last five years in the thematic field of the competition (0 – 35). The evaluation will focus on scientific publications – books, journal’s papers, book chapters, peer-reviewed working papers and proceedings – oral presentations, organization of national and international scientific meetings, awards and patents.
b) Applied investigation activities, or in the practice-based, research activities developed over the past five years in the thematic field of the competition (0-40). The evaluation will focus on coordination/participation in national or international research projects, networks and partnerships, supervision and advanced training, peer-reviewing, science management activities.
c) Extension and dissemination activities of the last five years in the thematic field of the competition (0-15). The evaluation will focus on promotion of scientific culture and practices, knowledge transfer and science communication.
d) Motivation letter (0-10). The letter should include a personal assessment on the adequacy of the activities of the last five years for the present competition; perspectives on the work to develop in the next six years; adequacy to the job profile and inclusion in CRIA’s activities and strategic plan.
12. Final classification and ordering of the candidates. The final classification system will be the sum of the scores obtained in each evaluation criteria as defined on the previous number.
13. In accordance with the article 13 of RJEC, the selection panel will be constituted by:
- President: Antónia Pedroso de Lima (ISCTE-IUL)
- Maria Cardeira da Silva (NOVA FCSH)
- Amélia Frazão Moreira (NOVA FCSH)
- Susana Matos Viegas (ICS)
- Maria Celeste Quintino (ISCPS)
- The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed for each one of the positions, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare the list of approved candidates and respective classifications.
- Application formalization. Applications shall include:
a) Detailed Curriculum Vitae, organized following the structure as described in bullet 11 above;
b) Certificate or diploma copy;
c) Letter of presentation/motivation (up to 1500 words) with a personal assessment on the adequacy of the activities of the last five years for the present competition; highlighting the top 5 scientific activities/production; perspectives on the work to develop in the next six years; adequacy to the job profile and inclusion in CRIA’s activities and strategic plan;
d) One copy (paper or digital) of 3 publications deemed more relevant by the candidate;
e) Other documentation relevant for the evaluation of qualification in a related scientific area;
16. Candidates shall submit their application files and supporting documentation, clearly identifying the job position applied for, in person at CRIA head office or by post sent until the last day of application deadline to the following address:
Centro em Rede de Investigação em Antropologia
Av. das Forças Armadas
Ed. ISCTE-IUL, sala 2W2
- Pursuant to Decree-Law nº 29/2001 of 3 February, disable candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honor, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication/expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
- Both admitted and excluded candidates shall be notified by e-mail of the final decisions. The minutes shall be available upon request.
- Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: Pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from application deadline.
- Application period: June 18th to July 18th
- This tender is exclusively destined to fill the specific vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
- Selection of candidates to be hired is contingent to regulations defined and applied by FCT. CRIA reserves the right to terminate this tender in case of non-compliance with FCT regulations
- The formalization of the work contract for the position is contingent to the celebration of the framework agreement between FCT and CRIA, pursuant to n.º 4 of article 23 of Decree-Law nº 57/2016 of 29 August, changed by Law nº 57/2017, of 19 July. All the costs arising from the execution of the contracts with the selected candidates will be allocated to the framework agreement, pursuant to article 17 of the above mentioned legal instrument.