Deadline for applications: December 12th
Open Call for 1 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
From November 27th to December 12th
Under the project UID/ANT/04038)
funded by FCT/MCTES through national funds and when applicable co-financed by FEDER under the PT2020
Scientific Area: Anthropology
Doctorate degree in Anthropology
Master the Portuguese language, spoken and written (C2 level)
The call is open to candidates holding a PhD in Anthropology, with significant research experience in topics related with migration in order to consolidate the scientific objectives of the Research Group Circulation and Place-Making.
The candidate must have a high level of understanding of changes in migratory patterns to and from Portugal during the last five years. Especially, she or he must have an extensive accumulated knowledge of emigration from Portugal to the UK, with a special focus on the remigration of migrant groups (e.g. Lusophone African Countries) who have lived in Portugal and are now experiencing a new process of mobility. The researcher should also work on other segments Portuguese emigration in the UK, with special focus non-qualified workers.
At least candidate must have two years of experience in:
- Analysis of the existing literature on Portuguese emigration and remigration;
- Fieldwork among Portuguese migrants in new countries of destinations, especially the UK;
- Comparative study of different (re)migrant populations in the UK, with special focus on religious networks, associative practices, as well as labor relations and settings;
She or he must have published in 2017 at least one peer-reviewed article in international journals.
- Analysis of the existing literature on Portuguese emigration on the basis of the bibliography already selected by the CPM Research Group.
- Conduct and supervise research on the proposed domain.
- Prepare applications for national and international projects and promote new research projects and scientific activities.
- Promote the quality and internationalization of scientific production on the research topics.
The fellowship amount will be based on the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology rules for fellowships, and consists of a monthly maintenance stipend of 1495 euros (tax free) for a post-doctoral research fellowship – BPD (more information: http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en).
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- Certificate of PhD degree;
- Letter describing the candidate’s current research interests;
- Copy of the best three publications;
- Research project proposal including: Abstract (maximum 150 words); State of Art (maximum 500 words); Objectives (maximum 300 words); Detailed description (maximum 1000 words); Project Schedule (2018-2020); Bibliography (up to 20 references) and a working/output timetable;
- Plan of activities to be developed in CRIA and specifically in the Research Group ‘Circulation and Place Making’: publications in international journals with peer review, submission of projects to national and international funding agencies; participation in international networks and projects; organization of summer courses; organization of scientific meetings and events; participation in CRIA’s activities (maximum 1500 words);
- Two letters of recommendation from social scientists, neither of whom may be the thesis’ supervisor.
Applicable laws and regulations (activity basis): The grant is regulated by the Law 40/2004, August 18 (Research Fellowship Holder Statute – http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutobolseiro) and Regulations for Research Fellowships of Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia in effect (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf).
12 months, due to start in January 1st, 2018. The fellowship contract may be renewed, upon positive evaluation, with a possibility for an extension to the end of the project.
The work will be developed at FCSH/Nova, Lisboa, under the supervision of Dr. José Mapril.
Professor Doutor João Leal; Professor Doutor José Mapril; Professor Doutora Maria Cardeira da Silva.
CV (40%), work plan (60%). If deemed necessary the panel will interview the candidates, in which case the evaluation shall be based on CV+work plan (80%) and interview (20%). The panel may decide not to assign the fellowship.
Advertising/notification of results
The final evaluation results will be posted on CRIA’s website. All applicants will be notified of the results by e-mail.
The applications should be submitted (using the Fellowship Reference: BPD_04038_CPM_3, from November 27th to December 12th 2017, by e-mail to email@example.com; cc firstname.lastname@example.org .